Protect your income with Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance
Open enrollment for LTD insurance is held annually and semi-annually. During open enrollment new employees can enroll into the LTD Plan. If you’re already in the LTD Plan you do not need to re-enroll.
Semi-Annual Open Enrollment is June 1 through July 31, 2018 for coverage from July 1 thru December 31, 2018
Enrolling for the first time, or reinstating coverage that lapsed?
- Complete and submit the LTD enrollment form to your employer.
- Only employers can pay premiums to RPB; we cannot accept payments from participants.
- Send enrollment forms to RPB for new employees and/or current employees reinstating coverage.
- Schedule premium payments online on or before July 31.
- If employees have terminated coverage and you want a refund of pre-paid premiums, you must request the payment within 60 days of the termination date.
LTD Plan Highlights
RPB’s LTD Plan through MetLife provides important income replacement insurance for employees who are unable to work due to a disabling injury or illness. All employees of URJ-affiliated congregations, as well as employees of the URJ, CCAR and RPB, who work at least 18 hours a week are eligible for the plan. Benefits include:
- 60% replacement of the employee’s regular earnings. If an employee also qualifies for disability income from other sources such as social security disability, the disability benefit will be reduced accordingly. The maximum income replacement from all sources is 66 2/3 percent.
- Either a 180- or 90-day benefit waiting period – the time between the onset of a disability and commencement of benefits.
- Affordable annual group rates*:
- 180-day benefit waiting period: $4.80 per thousand dollars of salary (including parsonage, if applicable)
- 90-day benefit waiting period: $5.44 per thousand dollars of salary (including parsonage, if applicable)
*Semi-annual rates are half the annual rate
- Tax-free disability benefits when the premium is paid with post-tax dollars through the employer. Read our FAQs for more information on taxation of LTD benefits.
- Benefits are paid until an employee’s normal social security retirement age or the employee no longer qualifies for benefits, whichever occurs first. Benefits that begin after the age of 62 may extend past the normal social security retirement age.
- Rehabilitation benefits encourage qualified candidates to return to work without losing all of their income replacement benefits.
- A “Conversion Privilege” to an individual policy.
There are two LTD open enrollment periods: annual and semi-annual.
Semi-Annual Open Enrollment is from June 1 – July 31, 2018 and provides coverage from July 1, 2018 – December 31, 2018.
If you’re enrolling for the first time or reinstating LTD coverage, complete and submit the LTD enrollment form to your employer during open enrollment. Premiums are paid through your employer. RPB cannot accept payments from individuals.
- To renew an employee’s LTD coverage, log into the Pension Tracking System, verify and update each employee’s salary and coverage information under LTD Data, and pay the premiums under View/Schedule Payments [Make LTD Payment].
- To enroll an employee in LTD for the first time, complete an enrollment form for each new person, and email it to us at pensionboard@rpb, or fax it to 212-681-9340. Premium invoices will be posted in the Pension Tracking System under LTD Data, and you can pay the premiums under View/Schedule Payments [Make LTD Payment].
Click on the appropriate link below for an explanation of LTD plan benefits:
- United States – Members of Central Conference of American Rabbis, Union for Reform Judaism employees, and all other U.S. Reform Movement organizations and congregational employees
- Canada – Members of Central Conference of American Rabbis – Canada, Union for Reform Judaism employees, and all other Canadian Reform Movement organizations and congregational employees / Group Policy Amendment