NOTE: Information on this page may be out of date. Please see our current LTD Page.
The RPB Semi-Annual Long Term Disability insurance plan enrollment period is now open through August 31st to enroll new participants for coverage from July 1 through December 31, 2016. Click here to access the Semi-Annual LTD Enrollment Form. Employers must submit a completed form for each new participant with a check, payable to Reform Pension Board, for the full premium by August 31, 2016 to enroll in LTD coverage.
The RPB’s Long Term Disability Plan (LTD) provides income replacement insurance to participants in the event they become disabled and are unable to work. Having sufficient income replacement coverage provides important protection in the event that an employee has a disabling injury or illness. Benefits of the LTD plan include:
- Income replacement of 60 percent of the employee’s regular earnings. If an employee qualifies for other disability income sources such as social security disability, the disability benefit will be reduced accordingly. The maximum income replacement from all sources is 66 2/3 percent.
- Choice of two benefit waiting periods, defined as the time between the onset of a disability and commencement of benefits: 180 or 90 days.
- Affordable group rates. The annual rates are $4.80 per thousand dollars of salary (including parsonage, if applicable) for the 180-day benefit waiting period and $5.44 per thousand dollars of salary for the 90-day benefit waiting period.
- Benefits are tax-free when the premium is paid with post-tax dollars by the employee.*
- Benefits are taxable income if the employer pays the premium unless the amount of the premium is deducted from the employee’s salary post-tax.*
- Benefits are paid until an employee’s normal social security retirement age or until the employee no longer qualifies for benefits, whichever occurs first. Benefits that commence after the age of 62 may extend past the normal social security retirement age.
- Rehabilitation benefits are available to encourage qualified candidates to return to work without losing all of their income replacement benefits.
- A “Conversion Privilege” to an individual policy.
- The carrier of the RPB LTD policy is MetLife, a leading global provider of insurance.
*Beginning in 2017, in order to serve our participants more effectively, we will only be able to accept LTD premium payments directly from the employer and only via electronic ACH (Automated Clearing House) through our Pension Tracking System (PTS). This change will reduce the number of payments to process, improve efficiency and accuracy, and free up our staff to better serve you. Click here to read an FAQ sheet to learn more about this change, including more about why it is being made, what the tax implications are of the change and other questions.
The RPB LTD program runs on a calendar year schedule; coverage is from January – December of each year.
LTD invoice forms for enrollment in the LTD program are available in the Long-Term Disability section only during the open enrollment periods:
- Annual Open Enrollment Period: December
- Semi-Annual Open Enrollment Period: July – August
Please see the full explanation of LTD benefits by clicking on the appropriate PDF below:
- Members of Central Conference of American Rabbis
- Staff Members of Union for Reform Judaism
- All other U.S. Reform Movement Organizations and Congregational Staff Members
- Members of Central Conference of American Rabbis – Canada
- All other Canadian Reform Movement Organizations and Congregational Staff Members
Long Term Disability (LTD) coverage, unlike the pension plan and life insurance programs that have restrictive eligibility criteria, is available to all employees of URJ-affiliated congregations who work at least 18 hours per week.