The RPB’s Long Term Disability Plan (LTD) provides income replacement insurance to participants in the event they become disabled and are unable to work. All employees of URJ-affiliated congregations who work at least 18 hours per week are eligible for the RPB LTD plan. Having sufficient income replacement coverage provides important protection in the event that an employee has a disabling injury or illness. Benefits of the LTD plan include:
- Income replacement of 60 percent of the employee’s regular earnings. If an employee qualifies for other disability income sources such as social security disability, the disability benefit will be reduced accordingly. The maximum income replacement from all sources is 66 percent.
- Choice of two benefit waiting periods, defined as the time between the onset of a disability and commencement of benefits: 180 or 90 days.
- Affordable group rates. The annual rates are $4.80 per thousand dollars of salary (including parsonage, if applicable) for the 180-day benefit waiting period and $5.44 per thousand dollars of salary for the 90-day benefit waiting period.
- Benefits are tax-free when the when the premium is paid with post-tax dollars.
- Benefits are taxable income if the employer pays the premium with pre-tax dollars unless the amount of the premium is deducted from the employee’s salary as a post-tax deduction.
- Benefits are paid until an employee’s normal social security retirement age or until the employee no longer qualifies for benefits, whichever occurs first. Benefits that commence after the age of 62 may extend past the normal social security retirement age.
- Rehabilitation benefits are available to encourage qualified candidates to return to work without losing all of their income replacement benefits.
- A “Conversion Privilege” to an individual policy.
- The carrier of the RPB LTD policy is MetLife, a leading global provider of insurance.
LTD invoice forms for enrollment in the LTD program are available in this section only during the open enrollment periods:
- Annual Open Enrollment Period: December
- Semi-Annual Open Enrollment Period: July – August
The RPB LTD program runs on a calendar year schedule; the coverage period is from January – December of each year. Renewal invoices for LTD coverage are sent directly to LTD participants in December of each year for renewal of coverage for the following year. We notify congregations that we have sent the renewal invoices to the participants simultaneously so that both employees and employers are informed.
Please see the full explanation of LTD benefits by clicking on the appropriate PDF below:
- Members of Central Conference of American Rabbis
- Staff Members of Union for Reform Judaism
- All other U.S. Reform Movement Organizations and Congregational Staff Members
- Members of Central Conference of American Rabbis – Canada
- All other Canadian Reform Movement Organizations and Congregational Staff Members