Welcome to the congregational leadership section of the Reform Pension Board (RPB) website. This section has information to help you understand the partnership that your congregation maintains with the RPB to provide high-quality pension, long-term disability and life insurance programs for your eligible employees.
The RPB is proud to help your congregation by managing all legal, administrative and investment responsibilities for the pension plan. The RPB also assumes the management of your professionals’ retirement and insurance programs allowing you, the congregational leader, and your professional staff to focus on the congregation’s programs and services.
RPB benefits for participating congregations include:
- Full legal, administrative and investment management of their staff’s pension plan
- Personalized service from professional RPB staff
- Flexible payment schedules
- Simplified account management through the RPB Pension Tracking System.
- Congregations proportionally fund their share of the professional’s plan, covering only the time that the participant is in their employ
- A record of success providing strong returns
- A comprehensive long-term disability plan
- Free term life insurance for active plan participants
- Free pension continuance insurance for eligible plan participants who become disabled
- Financial planning tools and information for participants and their spouses/partners through Ceridian Lifeworks
- 1099-R tax form preparation for retirees
- Parsonage facilitation for retired clergy
The Reform Pension Plan is a defined contribution plan organized within the framework of IRS 403(b) regulations. The Reform Pension Plan is recognized by the IRS as a “church plan,” as the RPB provides benefits to employees of religious institutions.
Below are some quick facts about the RPB:
- 1,450 active (currently making contributions)
- 720 inactive (not currently making contributions)
- 330 “Flexible Payment Option” retirees
- 100 “Annuity Option” retirees
- The RPB 403(b) plan is coordinated with the RPB Rabbi Trust
- Contributions: Approximately $30 million per plan year
- Distributions: Approximately $25 million per plan year
- Total portfolio: Approximately $1 billion
- The RPB offers several retirement distribution options
- The RPB maintains ten staff positions
The Reform Pension Board has been serving the congregations, institutions and professionals of the Reform Movement since 1944, responding to the needs and concerns of participating organizations. As one of the Reform Movement’s cornerstone institutions, the RPB works together with congregations affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism (URJ) and other Reform Movement organizations to fulfill our shared responsibility to enhance the financial security of our professionals and help them attain a dignified retirement. For a more comprehensive look at all of the RPB programs, we invite you to review our Plan Narrative (RPB Plan Narrative).
We hope that you find the Congregational Leadership section of our website informative and useful. Please contact us if you have any questions or comments at PensionBoard@rpb.org or by clicking on the Contact Us section of our website. We value your input and look forward to hearing from you.